The Bandwidth Speed Widget runs an HTTPS speed test from the user’s device to your data center location.
This test gives a general indication of the link quality, hinting to the availability of a fiber connection, ADSL or other. It also gives an estimate to the upper limit of the connection speed available between the user’s location and your infrastructure.
Estimated run time: 35 seconds
During onboarding, we can:
- Use our own deployment of speed testing machines
- We use AWS data centers
- We can make some or all of them available to you, based on where your service is deployed
- We link to the closest one via Amazon Route 53
- Install speed test servers at your own data centers using our qualityRTC Server add-on
- Change the file sizes used for the bandwidth test
- Throttle the bandwidth to limit it to a certain maximum threshold
When to use?
The Bandwidth Speed widget is almost always deployed by our clients. It gives them a good understanding on the network type and available bandwidth of their end users.